Thursday 24 May 2007

Assessment Week

Assessment week seems to be going well, apart from the odd small mishap, computers resetting themselves to 640x480 4 colour, is strange, don't quite know how that happened. But my year 12 programming students have just finished there 2780 unit standard. Most got just a few questions wrong and gained the credits with the resit. Others required conferencing, that is talking to them and probing them for answers. It can turn into a bit of a "Who wants to be a ....." . Also had them hand in there other unit standard today, the gamemaker assessment, 3 credits for doing a brief, designing and building the game, implementation and testing it. Over half will need to do work on it as they havn't had it tested or ticked that they have done everything. Some still need to hand in the .gm6 file with he coding in it.

Year 13 students are busy trying to get the visual c# completed, this is getting harder for me as around 7 students out of 24 can actually do the work.

Year 13 web design are busy on behaviour, I wish they would just get on with it and stop the talking and playing around. No matter what I try they just keep going.

Year 11 have completed there practice assessment and there is some students that need to work on there speed. Marks for 1.4 are still being entered into the system. Just wish I could concentrate on marking at school. There is too many distractions around.

Year 9 are still working on Publisher and will be attempting the assessment in a couple of weeks time. Reports are still to be written and while writing this blog the cleaner has just walked in, collected the rubbish bin and emptied it. They didn't walk around the room and collect anything on the floor or check the windows. Oh well, where was I. reports, due next Thursday. I wish it was further away so I could try and figure out an appropriate comment for some students.

I must admit that I am starting to suffer from burn out, it doesn't help that I also have some cracked ribs at the moment from a mountain bike crash at the weekend. But the students are just starting to really do me in at the moment, especially some of the Year 13 students, what is up with them at the moment.

Oh well, filming another rugby game this weekend, hopefully it will go better than last week, where the camera wouldn't work for a period of time. And a large punch up at the end of the game doesn't help.

back to Year 12, I am looking at how I can use achievement standards to do the next part of there work. i am think of using gamemaker to get them to develop a game looking at a teenage issue, possibly drug education. I am just wondering what to do on this, get some one from D.A.R.E in to help.

Year 13 web looking at a trip to north head to get them to develop a site to promote and educate. Though i should probably look at getting them to create a resource for a topic at school first. Teach, learn and test. Might be a quick way of getting them to work. A way to do this could be part of 2780, or even getting them to develop a resource to teach the first part of web design. Have a look at Learning Objects to develop ideas. The other one is to develop a Otago Polytechnic one that looked at something I can't remember what it was off the top of my head. Something about computers... it was in flash anyway.

No comments: